Sunday, June 6, 2010

So here it is, another Sunday night. It's been a while since I wrote anything on here, mainly because I'm not sure what to write. So I'll wing it and see what spews from these fingers.

My wife asked me tonight why I liked it here in Airdrie. She finds it very lonely and feels shut out of our ward (she's most likely going to kill me for saying that, but oh well). I have had an easier adjustment to living out here. I don't mind the commute, it's very peaceful and serene most nights, and the Walmart isn't busy most of the time. Anyway, back to the question. Why do I like it out here? I thought about it and came to the conclusion that out here, I can be my own man. You see, in the church in Calgary, me and my siblings were always referred to as Derek Coulthard's son/daughter. Out here, yes people knew him, but I could also be Gavin Coulthard. Out here I have forged my own path and been able to shed the expectations of being Derek Coulthard's son. My other siblings will know what I am talking about. This revelation has been a long time in coming. My brother, who served a mission, was able to find out what kind of person he was while on his mission also away from being known as....well you get the idea. This has come to me at a much later time in my life. With this new revelation in my life, I can move forward and stop trying to compare myself to him. You see, my dad is a great man. He has overcome much in his life, had many callings within the church and is also very outgoing. For those of you who know me personally, you know that I am the complete opposite. I am very, very shy. I take a long time to start to let my true self be shown in public. In fact, my family would most likely be very shocked if they knew what I was truly like at home. With moving out here to Airdrie, I have been able to chart my own path and become a more complete and rounded husband and father. This is why I am not opposed to moving back to Calgary, and possibly even my parents ward. When we do move back, I will no longer be "Derek Coulthard's son Gavin", I will be "Gavin Coulthard and yes I am his son".

That being said, I do truly love my father for everything that he has done for me and each of my siblings. We might not always have seen eye to eye(in fact we fought for most of my teens), but as I got older I realised that my father does know some things better than I do. He was the one who put me on my career path, and was able to help me out when I needed it the most. He has been there for the important days in my life, even when he didn't agree with the choices that I was making. I also joke with him that I am cursed to be very much like him in a lot of ways, but he knows that I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand, and I hope you are still alive and April didn't kill you!

    ReplyDelete